Dresdin Archibald, a contributor for Olympic Lifting, recently published an article on BreakingMuscle.com entitled “The 5 Benefits of Massage Therapy for the Serious Weightlifter.” He describes massage as the most favored method of soft tissue treatment for the recovery process in weightlifting, and discusses the roles massage therapy can play in improving both injury prevention and injury rehabilitation.
The 5 Benefits:
1. Flexibility – Since massage therapy stretches the muscle fibers, flexibility is promoted and maintained. This can also improve balance across complimenting and opposing muscle groups.
2. Circulation – Massage therapy improves circulation, and with better circulation the lifter can breathe easier and move more smoothly. Improved blood flow enhances speeds recovery time, too.
3. Pain Reduction – Massage alleviates muscular pain, whether caused by overwork or injury.
4. Sleep Improvement – Massage therapy has been shown to promote better sleep patterns, actually improving both the quantity and quality of sleep patterns.
5. Decreased Tension – Massage therapy increases muscle relaxation levels. With regular massage, such a lifter can learn to relax body and mind and perhaps improve his performances.
To learn more, check out the article by clicking here: The 5 Benefits of Massage Therapy for the Serious Weightlifter
And for a more personal touch, don’t forget Dr. Herb has a specialization in sports medicine has been an athlete his whole life. He never minds questions on how you can improve your fitness and health. More information on massage therapy at Absolute Wellness Center is available on our website.
Absolute Wellness Center in Eugene, OR offers chiropractic medicine, sports medicine, physical rehabilitation, acupuncture, and massage. To learn more about preventing sports related injuries, or manage and treat an existing injury, give us a call at 541-484-5777.